Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 17: The King of Pop

Between the ages of 6 and 12 I was obsessed with Michael Jackson. OBSESSED. The most rented movie by me from our local blockbuster was The Making of Thriller. I probably saw that movie at least 20 times.  And I made sure I had my own copy of Moonwalker. Saw that one at least 50. I was proud to be a card-holding member of the official fan club. I was captivated by this man, as many others were and still are.

When news of allegations started to surface it became "uncool" to like MJ, but my love went on.  Watching his magic on stage is a big part of what lead me to explore the power of performance.  In a way, he inspired me to create Open Mic at Cafe Hey, a place where others can share their gifts.

Though I'll also admit things got a little weird in his later years, I still feel he was an invaluable gift to our world. Michael showed us both the best and the worst of human nature. The grand capacity for love as well as the depths of self-destruction. I feel confident to say I truly believe that if I were in his shoes, I would have done the same. He was a prophet with a microphone. Give Moses some talent and place him in modernity; I will bet we'd get some messy truth too.

I remember two things from him very loud and clear: I am not alone and if I want to make a change, I've got to start here.  Ain't nothing truer than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment